Sunday 20 October 2013

Friday's bliss and the reverse

The end of the week is always tiring for me and it takes more effort to get up and go on a Friday than during the rest of the week. I was rewarded for my effort by arriving to find only one other person in the whole pool.  Apparently the schools session had just ended and so I had the opportunity to have a lane to myself to start counting laps. It didn't last long of course, but for about 15 minutes I was able to swim laps on my back without worrying about any other swimmers. I'm quite sure my counting was off but I was in the pool for about an hour overall and I think I managed about 20 lengths. By then my left foot was cramping and my arms were really struggling to keep going. It had also got very busy by that point and so I got out but I'm really proud of my effort and the amount of laps I achieved.

An hour is about the maximum time I can spend in the pool because my carer has other duties to attend to later in the afternoon, so I will need to keep an eye on the clock in future.  I had planned to buy a waterproof watch so that I could see the time and also count laps. Long story short, it turns out that of course when the battery runs out and needs to be replaced ... you lose the waterproof seal. So buying any waterproof watch, let alone the expensive £50+ model I wanted was going to be a waste of money. I decided instead to spend £10 on a lap counter so that at least I can make my counts accurate from now on. That has arrived and I'm really looking forward to using it on Monday.

I don't know if I'll be able to equal Friday's effort but we'll just have to see how I do. 

The downside to Friday was coming out of the leisure centre and finding we had a parking ticket. We'd forgotten to display the disabled badge and had gotten a ticket to thank us for our lapse. Not the ending to the week I might have hoped for.

No comments:

Post a Comment